- Walter Harry Gage was born March 5, 1905 in Vancouver.
- He attended Tecumseh Elementary and John Oliver High Schools in South Vancouver.
- Professor Gage began his career at UBC as a student, graduating with a B.A. in 1925. After earning a M.A. in 1926, he undertook graduate studies in math (U. of Chicago; California Institute of Technology)
- From 1927 to 1933 he was a revered math instructor at Victoria College , a UBC affiliate, and also served as registrar for that institution.
- He returned to UBC in 1933 and became a Professor of Mathematics in 1943.
- He won UBC’s 1953 Great Trekker Award, earned a L.L.D in 1958, and the 1968 Master Teacher award.
- Professor Gage became Dean Gage – the Dean of Everything – when he served as Dean of Administrative and Inter-Faculty Affairs in 1948 and later as Dean of Inter-Faculty and Student Affairs.
- He served as Acting President for two years ahead of his official acceptance as the sixth President of UBC (1969-75).
- President Gage was recognized for serving UBC for more than 50 years with the Order of Canada in 1971.
- IN 1974 the University of Victoria conferred the degree of Honourary Doctor of Laws on President Gage.
- Walter Gage enjoyed 3 years of retirement before passing away on Oct. 3, 1978 in Vancouver.